I went last Thursday to visit little brother #2 in prison for the 1st time. It was quite the experience getting in there, going through the metal detectors, emptying everything out of your pockets. Once we were through the metal detectors then we stand in a small hallway and the door slams behind us and the next door opens, we then have to hand our ids to some person behind tinted glass and they keep them until the visit is over. The third door opens and we are finally in the visiting room, #2 is standing waiting for us and is able to give me a hug. We then go sit down, I made the mistake of sitting down next to him, you have to sit across from him and he is not allowed to stand up for the entire visit. There are guards that are sitting on these platforms mounted near the ceiling so they are looking down and keeping watch over everything. Overall it was a good visit, #2's mom and I went together so there was some verbal tension going on between them, I am thinking next time I will go by myself and we will be able to talk a little more freely. I guess I never saw myself having to go to prison to visit anybody that I know, it was a very weird feeling.
It was also heartbreaking to see the moms of these inmates come in with their babies, and the inmates get to hold them for 2 hours, and that is all the contact they get with them. While we were visiting, a mom came in with twins that were about 6 months old and the babies just were such happy babies, made me wonder what was going through the inmates mind, and hopefully holding these two babies will make him decide to turn his life around when he gets out. I can only hope and pray.
Little brother #2 gave me some news when I was there, his 18 year old girlfriend managed to get herself pregnant by some guy at a party. According to her she was so high at the time, she did not remember any of it. She was going to abort the baby but decided she could not do that, I am hoping she will put it up for adoption, but of course #2 said that he will help her raise it, yes the same guy who is in prison for the next 4 years, struggles with FASD, tells her that he will help raise this child. Again I am hoping she goes the adoption route. I am going to keep praying for this situation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thinking of you, your brother and this struggling woman and child, Proud of you for sticking in there with #2, sometimes knowing that just one person cares, really cares, can be enough to begin again. I wish there was more than words to send your way - I've put them all on my local prayer chain, no names just special intention. I hope we can meet again sometime, the retreat weekend wasn't long enough to really get to know people and visit. Take care - Lynn
ReplyDelete